Gift Basket Themes
There are 'generic' gift baskets suitable for most any occasion - baskets of gourmet food, spa items, plants, etc. There are also many gift baskets with themes.
When making a homemade gift basket, using a basic theme is a good starting point. You can then add more of your own gift ideas to the basket.
- Book theme: Birthdays, Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day
Book, decorative bookmark, book light, snacks.
- Movie theme: Birthdays
Video, popcorn or pretzels, or movie passes and coupon for free babysitting.
- Beach Gift Basket: Graduation, Retirement, summer Birthday
Roll-up beach mat, beach towel, sunscreen, sun hat, tote bag, Frisbee, inflatable beach ball and flip flops.
socks for flip flops (toeless socks) are a great addition to a spa or beach gift basket.
- Wine and Cheese: Christmas - good corporate or personal gift, Housewarming gift
Coasters, wine charms, wine glasses, cheese cutting board - for a rustic look use a wooden crate for gift container and straw for filler.
See Themes for Wine Gift Baskets for more specific wine basket themes.
- Gardener: Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Easter, Retirement, or spring Birthdays
Decorative plant markers, packets of seeds, gardening gloves, garden tools, wind chimes. Terra cotta pot makes nice gift container.
- Spa Gift Basket: traditionally given to women but also enjoyed by men
Rolled up towels, aromatherapy candles, bath salts, body lotions, shampoos, soaps, inflatable bath pillow, loofah sponge, bath mitt, massage oil
- Chocolate gift basket: Valentines Day, Easter, Anniversary
Truffles, assorted chocolate covered anything, hot chocolate, chocolate stir sticks or spoons, goes nice with gourmet coffee
- Picnic for Two: Anniversary or any romantic occasion
Wicker Basket with lid, tablecloth, and dinnerware for two
- Sports Lover: The golfer, the fisherman, or football, baseball, basketball, hockey theme.
Fishing Theme: fishing creel, snacks, visor
Sports Theme: (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey) Items with team logo such as hats, mugs, trading cards, coasters, beer or sports drink, snacks such as nuts, chips, microwave popcorn
Golf Theme: golf balls, tees, sunglasses, visor, insulated drink holder, beer or sports drink, golf towel. Container may be cooler.
- The Cookie Baker's Basket: Christmas, Birthdays, Halloween
Seasonal cookie cutters (e.g. shaped like snowmen or stars for Christmas)
Cookie Recipe - handwritten on a recipe card or printed on nice paper, rolled up and tied with a ribbon around it. Choose between a basket, mixing bowl, cookie jar or large tin for the container and stuff with color coordinated kitchen towel. Optional: Add special ingredients needed for recipe such as almond extract, mint chocolate chips, colorful sprinkles, etc.
- Barbeque theme: Birthdays, Father's Day,
Utensils, apron, platter, potholder, cookbook, barbecue sauce
- Coffee theme: Birthdays, Father's Day, Mother's Day
Specialty coffees and creamers, mug, coffee bean grinder, gourmet cookies
- The Person who has Everything: The person who does not want to collect more 'stuff'
Consumables such cookies, chocolate, coffee, tea, wine, are ideal items to fill the gift basket with. Movie passes, gift certificate to favorite restaurant or a day at the spa, magazine subscriptions.
For more detailed information and ideas on how to make your own gift basket, see:
Gift Basket Assembly
Gift Basket Supplies
Gift Container Ideas